Der kleine QRH-Bausatz
Unfall: Wer zu oft warnt ...
Engagierter Journalismus aus Sicht des eigenen Cockpits
Engagierter Journalismus aus Sicht des eigenen Cockpits
Sortieren nach:  Datum - neue zuerst |  Datum - alte zuerst |  Bewertung

Sonstiges | Neue TCM SB für Big Bore Contis vor August 2015  
3. April 2017: Von  

Auf "COPA" gerade ein großes Thema: Die "Mandatory SB" MSB05-8B von TCM

Betrifft den Nockenwellenantrieb fast aller Einspritzversionen der 470-,520-, 550-Serien ... praktisch jeder Motor, der vor August 2005 gebaut (und seitdem nicht vom Werk überholt wurde etc.), ist betroffen.

Soweit man hört könnte diese SB demnächst eine AD werden. Angeblich sind mindestens drei Motorschäden an SR22 auf ein Schaden am Nockenwellenantrieb zurück zu führen, der mit dieser SB in Verbindung steht.

(Mein Triebwerk wurde 2006 gebaut ... offenbar habe ich Glück)

3. April 2017: Von Sebastian S. an 

Hallo Alexis,

hast Du Dich da nicht um ein Jahrzehnt vertan?

Grüsse Sebastian

3. April 2017: Von  an Sebastian S.

Klar .... 2006! Sorry

3. April 2017: Von Wolfgang Kaiser an 

Hier ist der Link zum SB.

https://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/MSB05-8B.pdf

Gilt also auch für alle Bonanzas.

5. April 2017: Von Markus Jolas an 

Oder doch 2005? Das Service Bulletin stammt ja mal von 2005/08/09!

Eine interessante email erhielt ich zu diesem Thema von Mike Busch, Zitat:

Important News for
Continental 520/550 Owners

Extremely costly AD may be in the works

Late last week, Continental Motors issued Mandatory Service Bulletin MSB05-8B affecting all 520- and 550-series engines (plus a few IO-470s). Now normally Part 91 operators are not required to comply with manufacturer's service bulletins. However, when Continental issues a Mandatory Service Bulletin, it means that they have asked the FAA to issue an Airworthiness Directive (AD) to make compliance compulsory. That's the case with MSB05-8B.

The backstory began in 2005, when Continental issued Service Bulletin SB05-8 announcing the release of an improved camshaft gear (part number 656818) to replace earlier camshaft gears (part numbers 631845, 655430, 655516, and 656031). The new-style gear was slightly thicker (by 0.060") than the older-style ones. SB05-8 recommended (but did not require) that the new-style camshaft gear be incorporated at the next engine overhaul or whenever replacement of the camshaft gear was necessary.

Then in November 2009, Continental revised another service bulletin (SB97-6) to make it mandatory for the older-style camshaft gear to be replaced with the thicker 656828 camshaft gear at engine overhaul. (SB97-6 is the service bulletin that specifies what engine parts must be replaced at engine overhaul, and so compliance is required to call it an "overhaul" as opposed to a "repair.")

Replacing the camshaft gear can only be accomplished if the engine is completely disassembled (crankcase split), so the only reasonable time to perform this replacement is when the engine is being overhauled, or when the case is split for some other reason (e.g., a post-prop-strike inspection). It also turned out that for Permold-case engines (used in Bonanzas, Barons, Cirruses, Columbias and twin Cessnas, among others), the new thicker camshaft gear had an interference problem with the crankcase, so the crankcase must be modified in order to use the new-style gear.

So far, no problem: The new-style gear has to be installed when the engine is overhauled.

Now, for many years Continental's official recommendation has been that their engines should be overhauled at some recommended number of hours (TBO) or after 12 years in service, whichever comes first. This is only a recommendation, not a regulatory requirement, so many owners run these engines past TBO and almost nobody pays any attention to the 12-year calendar-time recommendation. Is it coincidental that on the 12-year anniversary of SB05-8, Continental Motors has "promoted" its service bulletin to "mandatory" status, and asked the FAA to issue an AD to make it compulsory? Hard to tell.

Exactly why Continental decided to do this now is not entirely clear. So far, they aren't saying. My best guess is that this may have arisen from December 2015 engine failure incident involving a Beech Bonanza that experienced a catastrophic engine failure and made a successful forced landing. The cause of the engine failure was ultimately determined to be fatigue fracture of three adjacent teeth on the camshaft gear, which was an older-style 655516 gear. (The engine was a Continental factory rebuilt engine manufactured in 2001.)

So far, I have not been able to uncover any other recent camshaft gear-related engine failures in Continental 520- or 550-series engines, although Continental apparently told the FAA late last year that it has seen a few damaged gears that could possibly have progressed to failures had they remained in service. Best I can tell, such failures are extraordinarily rare events. Savvy manages the maintenance of many hundreds of 520- and 550-powered aircraft with the older-style gear installed, and in the eight-plus years we've been doing so we have yet to encounter a single camshaft gear failure. In the wake of the Bonanza incident, Continental's legal department may want to get all the older-style gears out of the system ASAP for liability reasons. (A more cynical school of thought holds that issuance of an AD requiring immediate teardowns would create a big financial windfall for the company. Personally, I'm more inclined to blame the lawyers than the bean counters.)

Now here's the rub: MSB05-8B calls for replacing the gear "within the next 100 hours of operation, at the next engine overhaul (not to exceed 12 years engine time in service), or whenever the camshaft gear is accessible, whichever occurs first." If the FAA were to do what Continental is asking, any engine built, rebuilt or overhauled prior to 2005 would have to be torn down immediately, and any newer engine would have to be torn down within 100 hours unless it can be shown that the new-style thicker gear is already installed.

FAA may not buy into the 100-hour compliance requirement, but very well might go with the 12-year requirement (only a guess). Another school of thought is that the FAA may not have an appetite to take on such an expensive and controversial AD under the anti-regulation climate of the current Administration (but I wouldn't bet on it).

For now, all we can do is wait for the other shoe to drop and see what the FAA's Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) says. I urge every Continental owner whose engine(s) might be affected to keep a close eye out for the NPRM and reply to the rulemaking docket during the public comment period (which is usually only 30 days). Unless the FAA can make a compelling case for a genuinely unsafe condition (rather than a freak failure or two), I think the owner community should fight this AD tooth and nail.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the FAA will decline to issue the AD that Continental is asking for. Or maybe the FAA will issue an AD that calls for camshaft gear replacement only at the next overhaul or teardown (with no 12-year or 100-hour limit). Otherwise, this could get extremely expensive for a lot of aircraft owners.

Michael D. Busch A&P/IA
CEO
Savvy Aviation

mike.busch@savvyaviation.com
https://www.savvyaviation.com

2008 National Aviation Technician of the Year

5. April 2017: Von Erik N. an Markus Jolas

Das ist auch auf Beechtalk ein großes Thema. Natürlich.

Hier der Post von Matt Anker - Das war der mit der engine failure von der Mike Busch spricht. Lucky he can talk about it. Engine Failure in IMC, und es zur nächsten Piste geschafft.

Er hat jetzt sozusagen sein eigenes AD, Zitat "Good thing I have a sense of humor. Better to have your very own AD than a place in a NTSB report."

"I received a phone call from my friendly CMI air safety investigator this afternoon regarding my engine failure back on December 26th, 2015. This was off the record, verbal stuff, to keep their legal department happy.

Reference the original thread:
https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=117010

The initial investigation was contained in that thread:
https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=117010&start=237

I didn't feel like resurrecting it in CrashTalk.

So in summary, to those late to the game, or those who haven't read Nate's e-book, I had an in flight engine failure in a 2001 CMI zero-timed IO-520-BA because the cam gear shed about 3 teeth, then promptly proceeded to machine clearance out of itself where the cam shaft stopped turning. My P/N was 655516A. You can go to the thread referenced above to see all the gory pictures.

The new revelation today was that the metallurgical analysis revealed that the gear failed "in fatigue" and that there were no metallurgical defects found.

Now here's what's going on in the background with the FAA ACO regarding the failure. . .

CMI has a new cam gear called the 656818 with a wider face that must have come out in 2009, and has zero Service Difficulty Reports (SDR) against it. The one previous to it is the 656031, which presumably came out in 2005, has 2 SDR against it for premature wear and tooth shedding. Prior to that were the 655516 and 631845 which all have failure history.

In 2005, revised in 2009, CMI issued the service bulletin SB 05-8A specifically covering these gears, and calling for them to be retired at overhaul or any time the case is split.
https://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SB05-8A.pdf

Depending on how many failures can be linked to these parts, and the extent of the carnage, you could see an AD on this in the future. This would target inspections on engines built during a specific data range that have not shown compliance with SB05-8A targeting specifically the cam gear or SB97-6B which specifies mandatory parts replaced at overhaul. There typically isn't any logbook data specifying which gear is installed. I suspect the suspect gears could be identified by inspection with the starter adapter removed to allow measurement.

To be very clear. . . . I'm not personally lobbying for any airworthiness directive on this matter. I'm not dead, my overhauled engine no longer has the affected part.

However, if you have an engine that may have this gear, you might think twice about stretching past TBO. The fact that fatigue cracks are occurring is a very scary design flaw, and it gives zero warning (like making metal). It's clearly known to CMI, and a matter of time before a FAA cost-benefit analysis could turn it into an AD. Make of this what you will."

Dieser Post stammt vom Juli 2016, und Matt sieht das mögliche Eintreten einer AD ja bereits voraus. Der Rest der Gespräche sind im Wesentlichen Fragen, ob nicht TCM hier liable ist.

5. April 2017: Von Erik N. an Erik N.

Aber alles in allem schon krass.

8. April 2017: Von Franz Kraus an 

Bitte korrigieren - 2005 nicht 2015!!

8. April 2017: Von  an Franz Kraus

Done!

22. April 2017: Von Malte Höltken an Markus Jolas Bewertung: +1.00 [1]
23. April 2017: Von Erik N. an Malte Höltken

Bei der ganzen Geschichte geht mein Bullshitanzeiger in den roten Bereich ;)

From avweb

Continental Motors is working with the FAA to dispel what they see as confusion and unnecessary concern about a mandatory service bulletin (MSB) issued by Continental Motors in early 2017 for a camshaft gear found mostly in older IO-520 and IO-550 engines. Several GA groups, including AOPA, the American Bonanza Society, COPA, Twin Cessna Flyer, and Savvy Aviation were sufficiently exercised about MSB05-08B that they requested an audience with the FAA without inviting anyone from Continental. A Continental representative called that decision disappointing and said it was “bizarre that a meeting was organized with the FAA [on this topic] without including Continental.” Continental was particularly bothered by an assertion made by Savvy Aviation, among others, that Continental had requested an Airworthiness Directive be issued for the part, possibly in an attempt to gouge consumers on replacement parts. In an email Continental shared with AVweb, the FAA confirmed that Continental had not requested an airworthiness directive and that MSB05-08B was prompted by a request from the FAA to conform the Service Bulletin to a format suitable for adoption as an AD.

Continental tells AVweb they are seeking FAA approval to make three changes to MSB05-08B in order to minimize compliance costs for operators. First, the camshaft gear can be inspected without significant disassembly by removing the starter. Continental is proposing that the part be inspected periodically and continue on condition if no damage is found. Second, Continental is proposing that the engine not be subject to a mandatory overhaul time period—though they continue to recommend overhaul after 12 years. Third, Continental will publish instructions for replacement of the camshaft gear that do not require engine disassembly. The MSB, and the AD likely to be released by the FAA, apply only to Continental engines using a camshaft gear last made by Continental in summer of 2005, so any engines built after August 2005 or overhauled since August 2005 in accordance with Continental’s Service Bulletins are unaffected.

=========================================

Two things, last sentence is your answer to the overhaul questions. As I follow this carefully, trying to buy a plane, how does one verify the SBs were followed, when overhaulers and cont. rebuilds use old parts that are tested to be fine for reuse. Best I can figure out, is pull starter at inspection and look at the number on the gear, seems invasive but I'm going to insist on it at a prebuy.

And two, not including continental in the above meeting was not cool, that's not how things get worked out.

11 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1

Home
Impressum
© 2004-2024 Airwork Press GmbH. Alle Rechte vorbehalten. Vervielfältigung nur mit Genehmigung der Airwork Press GmbH. Die Nutzung des Pilot und Flugzeug Internet-Forums unterliegt den allgemeinen Nutzungsbedingungen (hier). Es gelten unsere Datenschutzerklärung unsere Allgemeinen Geschäftsbedingungen (hier). Kartendaten: © OpenStreetMap-Mitwirkende, SRTM | Kartendarstellung: © OpenTopoMap (CC-BY-SA) Hub Version 14.22.03
Zur mobilen Ansicht wechseln
Seitenanfang